04 December 2007

Birthday Greetings to a Great Fan!

My brother was an only child for four years. Then I appeared and I can only guess at his disappointment over not getting a little brother to which he could pass along his enthusiasm for sports.

Fortunately, Tony adapted to my gender and didn’t let my propensity for all things Barbie to keep him from teaching me about the NHL, the NFL and Baseball’s American League. All throughout the 1960s, our bedtime routine consisted of him, in the bottom bunk, rattling off the names of America’s great sports towns, and me, up top, expected to spit out the name of the corresponding team before I was allowed to go to sleep.

Tony…"Buffalo!"

Me…"Bruins"

Tony…"Cleveland!"

Me…"Indians"

Tony…"Detroit"

Me…"Red Wings"

Tony…"what about
baseball?"

Me…"Lions"

Tony…."NOOOOO. Lions are football!
Baseball!"

Me…"White Sox!"

Silence from the bottom bunk.


To this day, I can’t remember the name of the baseball team in Detroit. What a disgrace!


me…."Tony! Happy Birthday!!!!!"

3 comments:

Annie Em said...

Happy Birthday to you, Tony!

It's the Tigers, Jackie (think Kellogg's Frosted Flakes)

And about those Lions? It's a well-known phrase on a favorite 80's show, Home Improvement. Tim didn't feel it manly enough to say he loved his sons in a crowd so he devised the code, "How about those Lions?" to mean the same thing. You may overhear your office partner utter those words on the phone to one of his sons!

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I honestly don't remember those exchanges, but I'll take your word for it. It sounds like something I would do!
Thank you for the Birthday wishes, and thank you too, annie em.

Jerry the Greek said...

We love reading your blog! We feel like we are part of the family.