06 January 2008

Feeding the herdsmen

Gulyás. It's the Hungarian word for herdsman and it is often associated with goulash, or Hungarian stew.

I adapted a traditional Hungarian Goulash recipe for the dietary needs of my herdsmen. I used venison steak (instead of beef flank steak) browned in butter and onions, then simmered in spices, including paprika, tomato sauce and green beans. The finished stew was ladled over rice pasta instead of durhum wheat noodles.

It was a hearty meal eaten with Steph and Amos in mind. On Monday, the pair fly out of Chicago O'Hare aboard an Air India jet, through Frankfurt, and then on to Budapest.

Our two young friends will be teaching elementary school English in Gyor, Hungary until early summer. Their adventures will be chronicled on their new blog: Adventures with Paprika. We'll be checking in often, and I've placed a link on the side of this blog, Hungarian Goulash, to help you find them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackie, I finally got a chance to catch up on your blog. Thanks for the link to our page! Your gulyásh recipe sounds delicious. I'm loving the dish and all its variations over here. Mmm, mmm, mmm. I hope all the Hilgerts are well. I'm thinking of you!