05 June 2008

Sun in my shower...

It's hard not to see beauty in a spring shower, even when rain comes with such abundance that an afternoon walk around the property reveals puddles on the driveway, puddles on the lawn -- and worse -- puddles in the vineyard. (Rows 1-4, & 9 to be specific.) Still...

Residents of California have just been ordered to ration water as their Governor just declared the state officially in "drought." And farmers in the southeast portion of the country, especially in North Carolina, are suffering a drought for the ages.
Just last summer, here at Four Cedars, we had a memorable stretch of rainless days that lasted more than 60 days. So we're thankful ... hopeful that the stress these damp plants endure is less than the stress imposed by parched land.
I won't get too frazzled about four inches of rain falling in the span of a week, even though it was fairly wet spring. I'd rather done my rubber clogs than kick up dust in sandals. And I rather enjoy marveling at the sun as it breaks through clouds that are still spilling their guts on the land surrounding me. The dark, damp soil of Blue Earth County.

No comments: