22 August 2008

It will be like a visit to Mecca...

When I lived in the Twin Cities, I used to listen to WCAL, the radio station once broadcast from St. Olaf College in Northfield. I was such a loyal listener of independent WCAL that I even sent them money, becoming a "member." A few years ago, the Regents of St. Olaf decided to cash out of the radio business; they sold the station to the empire that runs Minnesota Public Radio. The programming changed, some of my favorite DJs were moved to other MPR stations, and some of the syndicated programs simply disappeared. WCAL since has become The Current, and while its offerings are eclectic, they don't quite fill my need for more "traditional" jazz standards and more "diverse" new-age orchestrations.

My ears wept.

Then I discovered The Maverick, the independent radio station broadcasting from Minnesota State University-Mankato. I've written about the wonderful Echoes program before, and about the frequent jazz offerings. But my favorite program, by far, is Jazz with Ms. Lona, which airs Monday nights from 7 to 9.

Ms. Lona is a retired flight attendant and Betsy Tacy Society fanatic, according to her bio; but mostly she is a woman after my own musical heart. She loves Mel Torme and Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire as much as I. She will play the same tune by different artists back to back simply to demonstrate how artistic interpretation can vary. She's mellow, on air and off. And, she's a happy person who contributes to the community just by being Ms. Lona.

Because of Ms. Lona, I am what I never thought I could be. I am a fan.

I saw Ms. Lona yesterday and she invited me to sit with her in studio next Monday to talk about the farmers market and to play "food-related" music if we could get our hands on any. If not, we'll rely on Mel, Bing and Fred. That would be okay too.

If you're not within range of KMSU, The Maverick, you can listen online. The station streams live here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You might be interested to know that the story of WCAL is not yet over, even four years after the "sale". The group, SaveWCAL, has had success in the latest court hearings regarding WCAL. http://savewcal.net