11 September 2008

A pleasant surprise...

What comes first, the chicken or the egg? Without getting theological, experience tells me it's the chicken. Here at Four Cedars Farms, the chickens preceded the eggs by twenty weeks. Exactly.

Wednesday morning, just before departing for twenty-four short hours in the Twin Cities, I left our two hens with a generous helping of feed and these encouraging words: "I'm still waiting for eggs, girls."

Well, they must have missed me, because I found, upon my return, not one, not two, but three eggs in the nest. (One of the girls is an over-achiever!)


Of course I was overjoyed that this one aspect of farming worked just as I'd read it should. I can only imagine my joy two years from now when the grape crop comes in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If those hens only realized how important it was for their safety that they produce those eggs! Fried eggs sure look good on your stove...

Anonymous said...

Nice eggs Jack! Glad the girls are finally realizing their purpose at Four Cedars Farms!