24 October 2008

Cinderalla to be done in with a sharp knife...

This, dear friends, is a Cinderella pumpkin, an heirloom variety that my friend and grower Janice Guldan, directed me to when I shared with her my desire to whip up a pumpkin bisque this weekend. This beauty, Janice said patting its firm flesh, will yield more than a dozen cups of bright orange, moist pulp. And at a mere $3, was a better bargain than the orange pie pumpkins I had been eyeing. Janice has my back when it comes to vegetables, my friends.

The heirloom gets its moniker because it grows fat and squat with deep ridges, so it resembles Cinderella's carriage. You know the one; it was majically cast from a lowly pumpkin by a fairy Godmother who dropped in a couple of hipster mice to drive the pimped-out pumpkin over to Prince's Gala at First Avenue. Of course, Cinderella's carriage reverted back to a pumpkin at midnight; my beauty won't be transformed into soup until at least mid-day Saturday.
Sadly, our mundane lives aren't often transformed by fairies who pimp out veggies and transform us in a way that makes us more palatable to the upper crust. Wait. I think I just read something about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That pumpkin is awesome! I can't wait to try the bisque.