27 October 2008

No, this isn't now a cooking blog, but...

I came into some eggplant right about the time I was clearing out my refrigerator in anticpation of a week-long journey west. Not knowing if my purple globes would keep until early November, I decided to divvy them up between two people I know will make proper use of them.

Then I came upon a recipe that made me even sadder that my eggplants had to leave my kitchen. But giving is always better than receiving, I say. And so the eggplants go, and I offer this recipe here if any of you feel "eggplanty" this fall.

Roasted Eggplant-Garlic Soup

1 Large Globe Eggplant (about 1 pound)
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
1 Whole Head of Garlic
Olive Oil
1 3/4 Cups chopped Red Onions
1/2 Cup chopped fresh Basil (1/4 Cup dried)
1 Tbsp chopped fresh Thyme (1/2 Tbsp dried)
1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
3 Cups seeded Tomatoes, chopped
4 Cups Chicken Stock

Trim the ends off the eggplant, but leave skin on. Rinse, pat dry, and cut into 1/4 rounds. Salt & Pepper. Place on paper toweling for 30 minutes to remove excess water.

Cut top off garlice head and sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Wrap in foil, leaving top open slightly. Place eggplant and garlic on lightly oiled baking sheet and roast 15 minutes. Remove eggplant and continue roasting garlic for 35 minutes more. Chop eggplant into 1 inch pieces.

In large soup pot, heat 1 Tbs oil. Add onions, basil, thyme, and pepper flakes, sauteeing 5 minutes. Squeeze baked garlic out of head into pot. Add eggplant, tomatoes and stock, bring to a boil. Reduce, heat, cover and cook 10-12 minutes.

Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree. Top with basil or chopped red pepper when serving. Yummm! Recipe from The Wine Lover's Cookbook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie! I made the eggplant soup today. It's great! The only thing I'll change in the future is add fewer red pepper flakes (half teaspoon isn't much, but it's got quite a kick).

And it turns out our blender purees food amazingly well.

I froze some of the soup for you. Next time I come to the farm I'll bring it for you to taste.

Have a good trip with Becky!

jackie said...

Steph, glad to hear about your cooking success! Keep the soup a simmering. -Jackie