01 October 2008

October brings thoughts of home...

Over the constant squacking of the black ducks, I detect the hum of a combine across the lake. It's time. Harvest.

Of course, it wasn't machinery to tip me off to what's obvious. We are weeks into a transformation of the countryside which brings a full palette of color within view. My favorite part of autumn is how the corn and soybean fields subtely fade from green to the auburn hue of late, which looks richest just after sunset. I linger with the colors of autumn because I know the monochrome season is long and arduous and not inspiring of deep thoughts.

Autumn is my favorite season; October, my favorite month. October is a month of painted landscapes and warm kitchens, of damp sunrises followed by dry sunsets and bright moons, of cuddly sweaters and slow walks through leaf-covered paths. October is our bridge from the carefree days of summer to the festive days ahead, the ones that call us back to our families for sharing, for giving thanks, for giving praise. And counting our blessings.

I count October as a blessing. All thirty-one days of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The real reason October is your favorite month of the year is because it is your BIRTHDAY month!!

jackie said...

Correction dear reader. The fact that my birthday comes in October isn't the real reason the month is my favorite; it's just one reason of many. It's also why I'm so colorful! Ha.