20 May 2009

A gritty day all around...

I've seen pictures of the Dust Bowl and today wasn't quite so dire. Still...

the wind today, which was a simple amplifaction of the powerful wind of yesterday, was notable.

For instance, after opening the windows upstairs for the first time in nearly eight months, I was forced to promptly reclose them because surfaces were covered in dirt...

Then, I noticed that the small tomato plants that I'd hoped to put in the ground had disappeared; the plastic tray, blown apart, and the seedlings simply gone...

the bench, the Adirondack chair, the swing, the rocker, all tipped over...

the gate to the vineyard, swung wide and moving...

the buckets holding place for coming Iris plants, those I caught rolling across the front lawn...

I spied a half-dozen geese grounded, wandering the back lawn...

and finally, the air at the horizon and halfway up to heaven, well, it resembled the Los Angeles basin any day of any summer. It was thick air. Brown air. Dirt air.

Maybe it wasn't the Dust Bowl here today. But it was something. Maybe, it was the Dust Saucer.

No comments: