16 April 2009

The animal farm in spring...

Now that spring has sprung, I'm spending a lot more time milling around the farm by myself. Farm dog's absence weighs on me as, around mid-morning, I wander out to the chicken coop to collect the pair of eggs that wait.

The two brown hens can be relied upon to scamper to my feet in welcome, as if they want to remind me that I'm not alone; they even stoop at my feet so I can pet them, which I sometimes do. But it's not the same. I recognize that they are smart and have personality, but they are chickens and I'm a dog person. A dog person without a dog.

Yet, the absence of farm dog has changed the nature of the landscape. Farm dog did more than trot happily off-leash around the property; he pretty much patrolled the land. He chased away birds and squirrels and ferreted out other four-legged intruders whether they be mice, rabbits or the occassional possum. It was also well-documented that he barely tolerated the visiting sheep. So with the exception of the two hens, this was a one-animal property for more than two years, and farm dog was top dog.

But now spring has sprung and life, and that means wild-life is encroaching on what was once unsafe territory. Last week, two mallards meandered around under the four cedar trees. A few days later, two Canada geese took a break in the backyard. I spied two jack-rabbits playing tag by the granary. Down by the water, I spent a half hour rapt in the sound of an avian symphony rising from the dried reeds and catttails. And, shortly after leaving the shoreline, a ringneck pheasant stepped into my place. And then, just yesterday as I took a book break out back, my concentration was broken by incesant nibbling from this one...
...and so the brown hens are correct. I'm not alone. I'm surrounded by creation, which is a good place for a "creative" type to be. I still miss farm dog...but it would appear, at least among the creatures who inhabit Four Cedars, I'm the only one.

No comments: