12 August 2009

Real food, enjoyed by real people...

Did you know a pork butt comes from the front leg of the pig, which is nowhere close to, well, a pig's actual butt? What gives?

Of course, a pork butt is also known as a pork shoulder. Now that makes sense to me. Then of course, there's the Boston Butt, which is close to the same thing, though my son will probably clarify this for me. I'm not sure when the pig was in Boston, or if he's even a Red Sox fan.
Company came so I slow-cooked a pork shoulder in apple cider to make pulled-pork sandwiches. The cooking tip came from Heidi. So did the pork. We (me, Heidi and the pig) got rave reviews on the meal from those who came for a visit and got a tour and lunch. We closed the meal with Janice's strawberry pie. (I like to give credit where it's due.) No leftovers on either the pork or the pie, by the way.
The meal put one of my guests in nap mode, which in my mind is the highest compliment one can pay a chef, even an amateur chef like me. Lucky for him, I didn't listen to my dad and sell my swing. It doesn't get used much, it's true, but still it's nice to have when a friend needs some shut-eye.
All in all, it was a good day filled with good food and company, another rarity around here. Yes, it was a good day. A good hot summer day. At last!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The term boston butt comes from in the olden days all of the pork was brought through boston on the way to being cut up and so the term boston butt was developed.