19 January 2008

Escaping winter by thinking spring

Just about everybody I know is jetting off to warmer climes this winter. The destinations vary: Florida, Vegas, the Caribbean, Cancun. All of them accommodate short sleeves and bare feet.

Me? I’m stuck at 44th parallel north searching for signs of an early spring. The first of the new year appeared in my mailbox this week and it brightened my day a lot – in spite of the sub zero temps outside. It’s the Burpee Seed Catalog – 136 pages of glorious color that calls up all those wonderful memories of gardening yet none of the frustrating ones.

I’ve been pouring over its pages of sweet corn selections and contemplating some new spots along the picket and vineyard fences where I’ll just might put some morning glory seeds this growing season.

Planning gardens in January. How’s that for optimism? What else should you expect from a northern grape grower?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie, Just checking.