02 February 2008

Newspaper finds new relevance on farm

I subscribed to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune until about 18 months ago, when I tired of the paper's mediocre writing and utter irrelevance to my life. The publisher has since made several tele-marketing attempts to get me back, but without success. There are simply too many places for me to find "news" free on the internet; besides, the Strib editorial staff never really provided content that matched my interests or my values. But suddenly, I'm needing to rethink my decision. Here's why.

Mother Earth News (online edition) reports that newspapers make for excellent mulch in the garden. By laying sheets of newspapers up to a quarter inch thick over my soil, then covering the paper with grass clippings or decaying leaves, I can block the sun's rays to the outwardly agressive weeds that populate the property while still allowing air and water to filter through to the roots of my desirable plants.

This is a true revelation for me, folks. Last summer I fought off weeds that by mid-July resembled dwarf trees. And with 26 rows of grapevines going in come Spring, weeding had the potential to become a fulltime second career. Now, thanks to the newspaper, I might be able to reduce the time I spend on my knees in the dirt and turn my attention to other pursuits.

And, just think of the fun I'll have shoveling compost on the bylines of quality journalists such as Neal Justin, Sid Hartmann and C.J. If only Doug Grow hadn't taken the buyout!

No comments: